Summary Report for UIUC AAUP Policy Committee Meeting on March 12, 2013
Present: Kenneth Andersen, Ernie Benjamin (guest), Connie Caveny, Michael Grossman, Harry Hilton, Walter McMahon, Cary Nelson, David O’Brien, Robert Parker, John Prussing, Art Robinson, Robert Spitze, Leslie Struble, Donald Uchtmann, H. F. Williamson.
The meeting began at about 12:30 p.m. following the meeting with Ernie Benjamin and James Barrett
(1) Review of the Minutes for February 11, 2013 Meeting of Policy Committee. The minutes for the meeting were approved.
(2) Remarks from President: Struble expressed her appreciation to Ernie Benjamin and Jim Barrett for their presentation. She and Benjamin will arrange to make copies available to members of the Committee who request them. She will send an email asking for this interest.
(3) Schedule of Meetings for April 9
(4) Schedule of Meeting(s) for April 29. We will not hold an informational meeting at 11 a.m. and the business meeting will be devoted to discussing what action(s) (if any) the Policy Committee wants to take on collective bargaining. We will plan to start at 11:30 a.m. to provide enough time for this discussion. (NOTE: We have a reservation for 217 Illini Union for this meeting.)
(5) Schedule of Meeting for May 6. One more information meeting on collective bargaining has been scheduled for Monday, May 6 at noon with Tim Cain, a faculty member in the Department of Education Policy, Organization and Leadership, and Monica Bielski Boris, a faculty member in the School of Labor and Employment Relations. This meeting will be discussed further on April 9.
(6) Plans for Annual Meeting, Tuesday, May 7, 2013, tentatively 3:30-5:00 p.m. (NOTE: There was a typo on this date in the Agenda).
(7) Preliminary Report from the Nominating Committee. The Committee is still considering possible candidates for the Chapter Presidency.
(8) Report on the Spring Tenure Workshop: The workshop was held Tuesday, February 12, 2012 in 314 B Illini Union. Hilton reported that the attendance was good and those attending were complimentary about the program.
(9) Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee: Struble reported that she and John Prussing met with Louis Wozniak and talked with others concerning the dismissal hearing by the Board of Trustees requested by President Easter, which was counter to the recommendation of the Senate Committee on Academic Freedom and Tenure. Struble will prepare a letter to President Easter expressing our concerns on this matter.
(10) Report on Chapter Web Site. Caveny reported on the items to be placed on the web site including past minutes of the Executive Committee.
(11) Report on Activities of State Conference. Andersen reported that the annual meeting for the Conference will be April 6 at Elmhurst College.